Battlefield V‘s take on battle royale has been much anticipated ever since publisher EA first said it would be jumping on the genre bandwagon. Although it did not make it out in time for the game’s initial release, following a delay, we’ve finally gotten our first glimpse at Battlefield V’s take on the mode of the moment with a new trailer for Firestorm. Take a look below.
It’s unfortunately devoid of any gameplay, as the entire thing is showcased from a cinematic perspective. Although the video is our first official look at the mode, another video leaked online just recently, showing off a bunch of the game’s modes and the general setup of a match. We now know much of that information was true. Just as in other battle royale games, such as PUBGor Fortnite, you can play in Solos, Duos, or Squads, while each match will begin with players parachuting out of a plane, then scrambling to find weapons and other items to help them survive. The mode will launch on March 25.
EA has previously said that Firestorm will support up to 64 players. Unlike the rest of the game, the mode isn’t developed by DICE, but rather Criterion, the studio behind the Need for Speed series. The mode derives its name from the ring of fire that gradually closes in on the battlefield as matches progress. Firestorm will arrive for free as part of Battlefield V’s third chapter of content, Trial by Fire, which kicks off later this month.
In the meantime, the final event of Chapter 2: Lightning Strikes, dubbed Unstoppable Force, is now live. Along with two Weekly Challenges, the event brings back the fan-favorite Rush mode, but it’ll only be around until March 20.